This is an article from the September Bulletin Issue written by Clare Scawthorn, Technical Manager, PRA.

I’m a petroleum inspector and have a site which has carried out prescribed material changes. What do I need to do with the petroleum storage certificate? Do I need to send a new copy every time even if there are no changes to it? Should I also restart their fee?

To answer the question it is best to look at them as two separate parts.

Firstly, when a site carries out a prescribed material change it is important to understand if it will impact the petroleum storage certificate (PSC) to know what steps you need to take next. If it does, then a new PSC will need to be issued as the existing one will be rendered invalid once the changes take place. For example, if a site permanently decommissions a tank which is listed on the PSC, then it will need to be removed and a new PSC issued listing the remaining tanks in use. However, if a new line of pipework for petrol is installed this may not change the information on the PSC, it would be dependent on whether the drawings listed in section 2 of the PSC would change; where they are changed a new PSC will need to be issued with an updated drawing number in the table.

Now to the second part of the question, fees. When a PSC is issued for the very first time a petroleum fee starts and will be required to be paid in yearly increments (between 1 to 10 years), with the length of period to be determined by the site occupier. Once the fee has been paid, there is no additional payment to be made until the end of that period, even if the keeper of the site changes or the site is subject to prescribed material changes. So, to answer your question, you will need to issue a new PSC if the works alter the information on the certificate, but the collection of a new fee is not needed.

Read more articles like this in the APEA Bulletin. Become a member today.